Friday, October 12, 2012

Taking It For Granted


It's amazing how easily we come to take things for granted.

I get up every morning and turn a switch which immediately illuminates the room. I head to the shower and turn the faucet which provides me clean, warm water. In the kitchen we turn the knob on the stove and are welcomed by a consistent flame for heating water or cooking breakfast. My entire day, whether for pleasure or business, is spent with data being transmitted over telecommunication lines. And all of this takes place in a comfortable controlled environment. With all of this going on and even after spending over 40 years in the industry, I rarely think of the hard work of the men and women who make this miracle happen.

I've even gotten this way about the Damage Prevention Councils across Texas. When I get an inquiry from anywhere in the State of Texas, it's ridiculously easy for me to refer that person to their local Damage Prevention Council. It wasn't that long ago when that couldn't happen, and I need to remember that.

When we first undertook this task I did some research to assess the challenges. I found out that we were talking about an area that is approximately 269,000 square miles with over 25 million people. It's an area that's 1 2/3 times the size of California, 3 1/2 times the size of Nebraska, 4 1/2 times the size of Georgia and over 50,000 square miles larger than France. You can leave Spearman, Texas early in the dark of a morning, drive for 856 miles and not arrive in McAllen, Texas until 15 hours later when it's dark again.

It's a beast!

Thanks to the yeoman like efforts of our Texas811 Damage Prevention Managers; Doug Meeks, JimBob Sims, Jaime Medina, and John Sparks this beast has been subdued. Twenty three Damage Prevention Councils have been established across Texas where anyone wanting to work on underground damage prevention with other stakeholders can find a council, within reasonable proximity. Our Damage Prevention Managers, working with our member companies, excavators, contract locators, municipalities, and other stakeholders keep these councils going as an integral part of the damage prevention efforts across Texas. I'm amazed that they continually come up with exciting, fresh new ideas to promote the damage prevention message.

So if I begin to take things for granted I hope that someone will remind me that this was a tremendous effort that should never be taken lightly.

You've done a hell of a job, guys!

David Wofford
Director of Damage Prevention
Texas811

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment