Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Along for the Ride

I have heard when writing your first blog you should inform the reader a little bit about yourself.  So…

   My name is Penny Schutza and this is the sped-up version of how I came to be a member of the Texas811 management staff.

   The year was 1997.  I was thirty-(something), had been working at a company that repaired and installed new apartment mailboxes and rekeyed apartment complexes for about 8 years.  A pretty physical job in itself.  But, not only did I do these repairs, installations and rekeying projects, I also scheduled the work and ran the office, which included billing, shipping and receiving, merchandise ordering, accounts receivable/payable, staffing, payroll…everything that comes with being an office manager, less insurance or raises.  (Looking back I don’t know how I did all this and still could be of sound mind and body!)  The company had landed a very large contract with the USPS in Arlington installing curbside home mailboxes, which had to be added to our already busy schedule.  This ultimately led to contacting Texas Excavation Safety System for underground line locates.  We were faxing in so many locate requests Mike Losawyer himself, along with tech support, came to our office to set our company up as a remote contractor.  Between the busy calls coming in and scheduling crews for the different job sites somehow Mike and I were, briefly, able to discuss the company and what they were about.  Not long after this first meeting, on a Saturday afternoon, Mike and I met at the T.E.S.S. office.  He gave me a tour of the small office space (well, small compared to our office space now) and we discussed in further detail the company’s operations.  About three weeks later I nervously started my new adventure with T.E.S.S. (Texas811).  As with all new employees I started out as a CSR (or what is now known as a DPA), and slowly but surely made my way through the different departments from Projects, to Trainer, on to a Team Leader, advancing to Quality Assurance Manager, then accepting my current position as Assistant Contact Center Manager.  I believe working in these different positions throughout the company has given me a unique insight to how each department entwines with the other and with the company as a whole, which has helped lead me to where I am today. 

   I can not say enough wonderful things about Texas811 and how grateful I am for the opportunities I have been given.  To watch the company grow, not only going from working in a small business suite to owning an entire building, but also internally--the addition of the many different departments that, although are separate, work so well together as a team; the addition of the different states we now service; the benefits; the Wellness Center; and so much more--has been an experience I am so glad I was witness to.  As great as things are now at Texas811, I know there are bigger and better things in store for us all.  And I am very excited to be along for the ride.

~Penny Schutza

No comments:

Post a Comment